PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keep clear of controlled airspace!
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2009, 12:06
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimmer
Infringing aircraft are becoming a real menace, and if the ATCO does not achieve 5 miles and 5000ft separation from an "unknown", then it is filed as a loss of separation.

See why we are getting "jumpy", so until you flyers can prove to me that you are all capable of not infringing my zone, then I to will continue to use the phrase ROCAS and protect my arse!!!
Isn't this a significant part of the problem?

I as numpty PPL am flying 2400 ft talking to EGLF with Mode-S and for whatever reason climb to 2600 ft. Your Arse is now in the breeze because you have had a loss of separation from someone you are vectoring 4000 feet above me and and 4 miles away. I on the other hand have pulled up to avoid someone crossing 200 feet below me (separation 1/4 mile) and am looking for two other targets called within 3 miles.

or equally, I extend downwind at Fairoaks or Denhem in a strong breeze and windup turning crosswind at 2 miles and suddenly you need to breakoff traffic.

Neither of these incidedents appears to be appropriate to cause you stress and deep concern about a crisis, not saying they should be ignored as they clearly are infringements.

On the otherhand, numpty PPL, talking to no one, tracking through Luton's ILS, Mode-C off because he is not quite sure of position - clearly is a disaster in the making.

The way the argument is framed and the facts presented (by both sides) doesn't really help with identifying if this issues are predominantly with the first type of infringement or the second, the root causes or the solutions. Both sides of the argument have propossed some good and some dumb 'solutions'.

With regard to ROCAS, my local unit almost always uses the term either as part of the initial IFR clearance or gives a clue as to what airspace they are concerned about (XYZs ATZ, 2500 shelf, danger area?) and certainly doesn't use the term as part of the initial contact process. I find this use entirely reasonable, but struggle to see any benefit of using it to a pilot whose location, altitude, and intentions are as yet unknown.