PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whingeing Ryanfliers
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2009, 11:02
EastMids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing that I have never understood is why FR wants to ban Travel Agents anyway. So what if they charge a fee, if the client is happy to pay it. If FR have a seat for sale at £X - why do they care who buys it?
When Ryanair stopped the screen-scraping by the on-line booking engines, there were two main reasons:

1. If people booked via another website, they weren't exposed to Ryanair's other "offers" - i.e. Ryanair weren't going to get any ancilliary revenue for insurance, car hire, hotels, etc., etc. As this is now a very important part of Ryanair's income, it is in their interest to have everyone going through their website and being exposed to these [ahem] "offers"
2. On-line booking sites would quite lay out the fares, leaving the punter with a clear view of when Ryanair was not the cheapest. Ryanair depends to a significant extent on the ignorant believing that they will always be cheapest, and thus anything that exposes that myth as untrue is not in Ryanair's interest

For the same reasons as the above, it is not at present in Ryanair's interest to use travel agents. Travel agents are unlikely to offer insurance, car hire, hotels etc through Ryanair, and any good travel agent will earn their commission by offering alternatives, especially when there are better alternatives available. So, like I say, at present its just not in Ryanair's interests. Come the glorious day, things will hopefully be different!!!

Andy