PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check rides
Thread: Check rides
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2009, 08:16
Another_CFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sherig, Do you mean a Check Ride or the one hour instructional flight required by JAR?

Many groups have a recency requirement similar to most flying clubs and require that any group member who has not flown for a specified period must have a Check Ride with an instructor. If this is the case then it is a matter of judgement. For instance if the group has a 28 day recency requirement and you are conducting a Check Ride on someone who has not flown for 29 days then two or three circuits could be all that is necessary, however if they have not flown for a number of months then the Check Ride should be more comprehensive.

If you are referring to the one hour instructional flight then I think that your suggestion about content is a good starting point. Before conducting the one hour instructional flight I always ask the pilot if there is anything that they would like included within the flight. Frequently they will offer suggestions of something to include "because I have not done any of those in a long time". In this case I would build their suggestion into the basic structure which you suggested. Since it is an instructional flight you may even teach them something new - for instance spin recovery if the aircraft is spinable.

Remember that the aim of the flight is to ensure that by the end of the flight they are safe and competent. It is not a test, so if for instance they initially "screw up" steep turns but after some instruction conduct them safely then that is totally acceptable.