PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA premature ADS-B mandate will result in even more pilots losing jobs
Old 14th May 2009, 06:17
Freewheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freewheel , a great idea. We have an industry going into severe recession so we add to overheads so that the money spent will employ more people and take us out of recession!

I love it.

Do you work in the PM's Department?
Dick,

During a conversation about Indigenous policy recently, somebody told me I should run for PM. I laughed and suggested......you.

I wouldn't have thought a man of such entrepeneurial vigour as yourself would have been so quick to jump on the idea of somebody seeing this as an opportunity.

There may be the odd organisation for whom the cost of ADS-B might be the straw on the camel's back, but if so they'd likely be going down the gurgler anyway. How much for a hot section overhaul on your CJ3?

As you point out, ADS-B is fantastic, but as slice rather indelicately mentioned, there should be a substantially greater (relative) gain for Australia than there will be in the US.

Addendum;

There's still 4 years to go, so by then we'll either have begun to recover and corporate operators will know how they're travelling, or we'll all have been runed.

The danger in ADS-B implementation is not the equipment, the effect or the cost, but the principle of using it to provide something that could have been provided another way for years.

If the principle was to apply we'd have to have a TCAS to fly a circuit and an ab initio student would need to operate one of them before going anywhere alone, along with all the other burdens.

Finally, the US does get it wrong from time to time, after all where was ADS-B created all those years ago?

Last edited by Freewheel; 14th May 2009 at 06:29.