PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2009, 02:33
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't read the full transcript as it wouldn't load for me, but the papers here in the UK were full of 'flirting'. What I have read of it, it wasn't flirting, rather normal cockpit banter, with a nasty situation creeping up on them unawares. The key to it is experience, experience to bring on that uncomfortable feeling that 'something is wrong!' I've seen it when inexperienced pilots just don't get the cues some of us old hands do. And i wonder how much of that was in the Turkish crash. Someone should have had the feeling 'something is wrong, or at the very least- not right!', and they didn't. Maybe it was inexperience- I'm not sure I'd count military F4 Phantom time to the 'experience' ticker. But we have 2 accidents with similar complete and utter failure to recognise the true danger of a hazardous situation until recovery was all but impossible.

I find the desperation to get into the left hand seat prematurely rather exasperating. I had to serve long time in a constipated seniority system before moving over. You need a long time to develop those survival instincts in an unnatural environment in the air. Both accidents give the impression of inexperience- something I fear we will see far more of quite regularly.