PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue Cabin Crew EBA
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2009, 01:13
skyshow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBR_1

I think there's a misunderstanding...

I do not agree with the change in pay scales. I just think it’ll be one of two things that definitely will not currently change – that and the 28 day rosters.

The only thing I disagree with you and your other crew’s statements is the morale issue. Of course I may be wrong, but it never was a problem in my past experience hence my input in this conversation. You and crew at the moment are talking about morale issues based on different work entities, not pay scales.

However of course I do agree with your statements regarding this as undervaluing our worth. And the pay scales should start up, not down. Who wouldn't agree?

Your comparison to Jetstar is incorrect because they have TeamJetstar employees on lesser wages and more hours FOREVER. Just like Qantas’ QCCA and MAM. Crew technically employed by a different company/entity. As for undervaluing the job, Qantas lowered the bar. We all know QCCA crew will work 30% more for 30% less. Forever. Or what about the Bangkok base earning under $20,000AUD annually for more hours? Virgin will not be like Qantas, thankfully.

With us, all employees will be equal except for a pay scale for 4 years.

Ask the ex-Jetstar crew what the morale was like before TeamJetstar, when all they had was a pay scale – like Virgin’s proposal? Your ex-Jetstar crew are telling you what its like having a different entity of crew around, not a group as a whole with a pay scale.

And hasn’t Virgin Blue had pay scales since day one? Probation crew pay, year one crew pay, year two crew pay? Did this effect your morale when joining?

In a nutshell, once again, I’m saying I wouldn’t see a morale problem. You do. And we both are entitled to our different ideas on this. My idea is different to yours because I believe you’re confused between morale with pay scale and morale with different work groups and I have witnessed both in my flying career first hand.

I understand we're lowering the bar of pay if this get's voted yes, as you stated you earnt similar amounts in base pay 15 years ago and you had an airline with pay scales. But tell me what the morale was like with this pay scale? Was there jealousy/poor morale amongst the crew with this? I would imagine not, as per my experience.

At the end of the day, if we don't like the proposal we vote NO. If we think we undervalue ourselves and others (like this proposal of pay scales would do) we vote accordingly.

wirgin blue, agree with you... I wonder if the 50 odd crew transferring to international will vote yes and take the $2500 bonus before transferring? And not to mention the fact Virgin Atlantic exchangees get to vote weeks before they leave back for London. Do you think these 50+20 crew care as much as the rest staying?!?

indamiddle, thanks for the infomation. Yes the new laws past July 1 are the hot topic in every VB galley at the moment already...