PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA to get 30% rise
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2001, 21:02
Hot Wings

Angry

I completely agree with the last few posts. Well said everybody!

This weeks BA News caused my blood to boil. BA has declared war against us by reproducing Irwin Stelzer's recent Sunday Times article. Just a few points from the article:

1). "Lufthansa pilots, unhappy with an offer of a mere 18% wage increase"

FACT: Lufty pilots took a 20% pay cut to help out the airline during a difficult time.

FACT: BA pilots took a 5% pay cut for the same reason.

FACT: Neither pilot group has had these cuts restored during the profitable years since.

FACT: 18% over 4 years will still leave Lufty pilots earning 50% less than US pilots.

2). "After all, one cannot expect a pilot to get along on $300,000 a year".

FACT: Even before the recent large pay settlements, pilots at US majors earned far more than those of us in Europe.

FACT: Nobody at BA earns anywhere near $300,000 a year. Infact, the highest paid most senior BA Captains, even Base Training Captains, earn the same or less than a UAL F/O with 5 years seniority ie. $170,000 or £125,000.

FACT: The average pay of an EOG 737 crew is far less than a 737 crew from Ryanair, Easy or Go.

FACT: BA has about 1000 pilots operating a fleet of 57 747-400s. UAL has 1800 pilots operating a fleet of 44 747-400s. You could say that, at BA, we work twice as hard for half the money!

FACT: Every month between 150 to 300 747-400 pilots at BA are in danger of exceeding the JAR 900 hours per year flying limit.

4). Various pro-Roderick Eddington comments, which I can't even be bothered to re-read in case I throw up.

FACT: Ask any Cathay pilot or employee what they think of Eddington.

FACT: Ask any Ansett pilot or employee what they think of Eddington.

FACT: Ask Rod what he thinks of pilots - "million dollar morons".

FACT: Eddington is due a £1,000,000 bonus if he returns BA to profitability within 2 years. This explains his low key approach so far at BA. Wait for next year!!!

We are now in a situation where BA is actively stirring up the "green-eyed monster" against its pilot force. Management only see our cost, not how much we save the company. What value has been put on the heroic actions of Capt. Bill Hagan and his crew (re: NBO)?

We must aggressively persue a massive pay claim and not be part of a company pay deal.
Balpa should be far more proactive. Its time to start putting out some pro-pilot propaganda.

Unfortunately, our true value will only be seen when we walk off the job and flights are cancelled. After 2 weeks, Flt Ops would implode as people go out of recency, etc. A month long strike would take 6 months to recover from. It would cost BA £100s of millions. A professional pilot is not a charity - show us the money!!!