PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: TodayTonight: communication difficulties Monday
Old 12th May 2009, 00:52
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just watched the article and I note that John McCormick comments on his flying into many foreign environments however this would most likely have been at CX and in a professional ATC/RPT environment. Even with language and accent differences the genral core of understanding of the English used is well entrenched.

The issue of GAAP and nav's into various CTAF's and Class D etc, by relatively inexperienced pilots plus unfamiliar english and accents does mean there will be a far greater level of frustration. I remember when learning to fly in CTA, the odd moment of brain strain coping with multiple things at once plus flyng the plain would have been very obvious outside the cockpit........ add to that a language profficiency deficit and I fully appreciate the concerns being put forward.

To make matters worse many old a/c with old radios, antennae, audio panels and wiring, plus dodgey headsets........... Many times its hard to understand the Aussies! So ATC really are in strife.

The only solution is to ensure English profficiency among the students. Its not being racist or anything like it, its a standard and it must be met. Simple as that. Same should apply to the level of instruction on radio use and for that matter good avionics/headsets.

And while we are at it, some of the local old fella's too!

Have to say I do not hear any ATC folk that are hard to understand.