PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: TodayTonight: communication difficulties Monday
Old 11th May 2009, 09:16
TwoTango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Essendown Tower, Today Tonight, a load of bollocks, is ready at runway forty four, received bugger all"

I almost fell out of my seat laughing when "at bang" came up in the transcript. People in glass houses...

I agree with the previous posters - most of the calls were understandable. My parents, neither of whom are involved in aviation, thought one of the hardest calls to understand was the one right at the end from the "Aussie" pilot. I have to say I found it a bit garbled too - sounded like he was racing to get it all out. Radio calls are not a race - there isn't a prize for most words per minute. Say it at a normal speed, and you'll be understood.

The 'journalist' tried to link this to the air crash in India involving a 747 and a freighter.
Coincidentally that episode is premiering on National Geographic tonight. I wonder how much they paid Today Tonight for the free advert?

Oh well, at least the story was so bollocks they couldn't even get an "aviation expert" to back it up on camera...

The sad thing is, there *is* a problem in my view with foreign students coming out here and being thrown in the deep end with not nearly enough support to learn English. It doesn't happen everywhere, but I have seen it first hand at a number of organisations. But hey, why draw attention to that real issue when instead you can have a nice rant against those foreigners.

TT