PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: TodayTonight: communication difficulties Monday
Old 11th May 2009, 09:08
I spy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, good GRIEF!!

Even Today Tonight couldn't decipher the ATC transmissions!!

ATC: "Are you ON BANG Point Ormond?"

Ahhhhhhhhh - I think you mean "ABEAM Point Ormond", you imbeciles...

Look, we all know that some of our foreign pilots have less than stellar English, but **** - I've heard some absolute clangers in perfectly acceptable English.

Maybe, these pilots should sit an IELTS test (International English Language Testing) the same test that universities/tertiary institutions make any overseas students wanting to study here take. There's two levels:

* The IELTS test is in four components: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
o The Listening, Reading and Writing components of the test take approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete. The speaking component takes approximately 20 minutes to complete.
* IELTS is available in two formats: Academic and General Training.
o The Academic modules assess whether a candidate is ready to study or train at degree level.
o The General Training modules are suitable for candidates who are going to undertake non academic training or for immigration purposes. Please go to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website for more information.

The cost? About $160-200 - chicken feed to those students.

Hey, maybe CASA could set the acceptable pass marks.??.................oh, hang on, that's a BAD idea...