PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC TV segment on US Regional airlines safety
Old 10th May 2009, 17:54
lolopilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did I imply this? Nowhere to begin with, so be factual. Pilots do their part, the FAA does not and casually ignores airlines wrongdoing.
The FAA primary duty is (or should be) to ensure air travel safety by enforcing existing regulations when and where it needs to be done. That is not the case to begin with. Any individual not complying with the law is accountable. Evidently, airlines management and the FAA are not.
The problem today is that, all regional airline pilots in the US have to deal with high levels of fatigue at some point during each trip due to either insufficient legal rules to prevent that from happening or lack of enforcement action from the authority in charge, namely the FAA. Now, here is the deal, you fly a four day trip with unexpected delays and resulting reduced rest periods at an outstation. What do you think happens after calling in fatigue a couple of times for that very specific reason. If you do not know, then you have no clue as to what regional airline flying is all about and here is the answer. You will end up being terminated, especially during your probation year and the airline is not even held accountable. Do you believe the FAA is not well aware of the problem? I flew for the regional for many years before moving to greener pastures and disgust is the only word that comes to my mind when I think about it.