PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taif
Thread: Taif
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2009, 15:31
AYTCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been a while (left the pit in 2001) but guess old info is better than no info till someone with more knowledge can add their piece.

Was based at Tabuk at the start of the ADV/Hawk time there. Went to Taif on a couple of occassions in aircraft so didn't really get out and about to check the place out. However, what I do know is that it was more primitive and less developed than Tabuk. As a comparitive, Tabuk was dire in the beginning. Girls had to wear the full gear (including headscarves) in town and there were no western shops or restaurants. The place was completely religious and like going back 300 years when comparing to lifestyle, environment and people with Riyadh and 500 years compared to Dhahran. That was in 1999 but it did improve when the Royals realised they needed to pump modern day into the area or the much needed hired help would leave (many did on behest of the hausfrau who couldn't deal with how primitive it was). BAE Systems also put money into new compounds, a school (the existing one was awful) and facilities. As I left in July 2001, the first Mickey-D's was opening and whilst that may sound bad in itself, it heralded a swing and acceptance of the new westerners and Tabuk ramped itself towards the 20th Century. I understand from friends who remain there that it is quite acceptable nowadays. Still no Dhahran but it was never going to be.

Taif had the same ancient view on things and unless the Americans in the area (Saudi F-15 base and believe US Army helping out Saudis with their tanks) have pushed the thing along it may be still in the position that Tabuk was. That in itself shouldn't stop you going as each to their own and whether it has modernised or not, only you can decide ultimately if it is for you. The bonus is that with Typhoon, BAE will put lots of money into the town and the area so in time it will become a more bearable place to be for westerners. The only variable will be whether your bucket of cash still outweighs your bucket of ****; if it doesn't, then go home.

Overall, the money was great for me but the bucket of **** rapidly filled and after 2 years i had had enough.

Not great info re Taif but as I said, until someone else with better knowledge of Taif replies, at least it is something to consider.

Aytch