PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I dream of being a pilot (Merged 2009)
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2009, 22:15
Flintstone

cogman.

I would forget the scholarship route if I were you. These days they are as rare as hen's teeth, in fact (and I'm ready to be corrected here) nobody offers them any more*. Over the last few years more and more people have bought their own type ratings to get a job which has convinced the airlines that they've no need to help anyone. By the time you are ready to apply I think airline scholarships will just be a fond memory.

One option might be the military where places are very hotly contested and for which you would need a full set of GCSE's, A-Levels in (preferably) physics, maths and another similar subject. A degree probably wouldn't go amiss either. One thing I would say, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, you'll need to be in the top stream at school/college and you'll need to brush up on spelling (I know, this is 'only' the internet but start as you mean to go on and ditch the textspeak). The people against whom you'll be competing for slots will be the very best, you'll need to be too.

If the military isn't an option then consider what Superpilot wrote earlier. You'll have to pay your own way through your training and although that will be slower if done correctly you could come through relatively debt free. You'll need to be patient though as that will entail building another job/career to the point where you can fund your flying training. Probably not what you want to hear now but many commercial pilots went that way and have very rewarding careers. It just took a few years is all.

Your profile doesn't say exactly where you are but as has already been suggested if you are near an airfield get along there and see if you can get involved.

Edit. You'll also need to show that you have initiative. Asking questions here is fine but how about using the internet to find the GAPAN site and see what you can learn for yourself? People here are very helpful but they won't spoon feed you

*Air Atlantique still offering theirs, anyone?