PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army out of fixed wing...
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2009, 03:03
eagle 86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to disappoint both RAAF and Army but the best support provided to Army was by Navy pilots. There are a number of quotable quotes on books written about the SEA war games that note this - indeed the quote "Get the bloody job done" was spoken to a recalcitrant US army aviator by an Australian CC pilot to re-focuss his mind on the job. I witnessed RAAF ops from a position of impartiality and I can assure you they received quality support. I doubt you would find an SAS digger from 66-71 who would disagree. The main problem in the early days was a lack of concept of operations, particularly on behalf of the Army commanders, as to how to employ lift helos.
I was very close to operations to protect the Bass Straight oil rigs in the late seventies and had the very great pleasure to receive a letter from a senior Army operative indicating his total satisfaction with Navy support and indicating that he would prefer that service's support over the other two services.
I think you will find that Army commanders these days are having similar issues with Army aviation as they did with the RAAF forty years ago.
GAGS
E86