PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2009, 22:22
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which concord captain was earning bucks and saying dang? And how did he become a concord captain if he thought there would be no radiation in space?

Keep looking for work. It took me four years after qualifying to get my first job and I've gone through quite a few now. The company I was working for went bust during summer 2008 and I've only recently started working again. The shrinkage in aviation means that newbies are up against some very experienced pilots even for quite junior jobs. But from an employers perspective its not always best to go for the bloke with most hours because the salary is more, the likelyhood of them leaving is greater, and sometimes ingrained habits don't fit the new business. So emphasise your flexibility, demonstrate a willingness to be involved, make sure you can live anywhere, and keep sending CV's and making phone calls even if there are no job adverts because the last thing that a company is going to waste money on right now is an advert for a pilots vacancy. Stick on a suit, go visit people - not airlines because they won't be interested, but all the smaller operators.

Also, help out everyone you can because other pilots are not your competition and this industry is a very very small world. During your career, someone, somewhere will help you out in return. So don't s**t on anyone.

Good luck!