PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So called SCABS
Thread: So called SCABS
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2002, 17:36
sand dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizofoz,

I stand corrected. It might only me semantic, but the leadership of HKAOA has NEVER used the term “Scabs”. The leadership of HKAOA has NEVER produced any “scab” list or initiated any action against the scabs. The leadership of the HKAOA is doing its best to keep the membership on a tight leash and diffuse the situation. They are quite successful at it because the situation is presently VERY CALM (before the storm?) People within the membership initiated certain actions against the scabs, but the leadership of the HKAOA has asked the members to stop any action against the “Replacement Workers” (that’s the term used by the leadership of the HKAOA.) Ken Barley was the first one to use the term “Scabs” in a statement, saying that blacklisting or Scabbing was “Industrial action of the worst kind” (by the way, destroying the career of 50+ Pilots IS industrial action of the worst kind).

The HKAOA is made of 1300 individuals. These individuals have to “vote in” any new members with a majority vote. I think that “retrospectively drop the ban and welcome all new-comers into the union” is wishful thinking. Regardless of what IFALPA or the HKAOA General Committee might recommend to the membership, I can assure you that the “Scabs” will find it very difficult to be “voted in” by ANY Union anywhere in the world.

The IFALPA Recruitment Ban is a REACTION and was put in place THREE MONTHS after the 49ers were wrongfully terminated by MANAGEMENT. MANAGEMENT created this situation. This membership is only trying to protect itself and the 49ers from an ongoing attack on their contract and conditions of service. Without organisations like IFALPA and HKAOA, we would not have any of the things that we all take for granted and that our grand fathers did not have: paid leave, safe working conditions, pension, medical, etc…

If you absolutely want to term the IFALPA Recruitment Ban “ostracising and vilifying” so be it. What terms you will be left with using when the dogs are unleashed and REAL action is taken against the “Replacement workers” (Rhetorical question)

PS. To anyone out there thinking that an upgrade ban is the solution, how would you implement it? Please consider that with an official Upgrade Ban in place, if a member were to “turn down” or “knock back” his upgrade, he would be terminated for no particular reason. Members would be exposed and picked off one by one. This management is ruthless and has to be dealt with in a “guerrilla warfare” fashion. To think otherwise is simply naïve and uneducated. Unless you've been here and seen it, you can not truly appreciate the evil ways of this management.