PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why a vote on COS08 improvements?
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2009, 08:16
IFB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iLuvPX – with 15% of pilots already on COS 08 and another 15% on A scale due to retire in the next 4.5 years or under, your “less than 20%” minority is already nearer 30%. Additionally for whatever reason (age, base, ftr fleet, etc) there are many of the remaining crew who actually see COS 08 as an advantage. That means your “minority” if not already a majority it is pretty close to becoming one! As for your second point, this deal actually seems to FAVOUR the older guy who has been here for decades, not only does it give him protected A scale for another 4.5 years, but he can then work for another 10 years should he wish to! But don’t let either of the above facts put you off spouting rubbish!

Crucially you have the choice to stay on 99 with BPP etc etc should you feel the deal offered is not good enough. If that is your feeling then fine stay on 99, but what I can’t understand is why you would actively choose to reduce the COS of another work colleague (whatever, that percentage is). That to me is utter selfishness at its worst!

7700 – What makes you think I am a new joiner? Just because I wrote my post based on your perspective perhaps? Fact is I am on COS 99. I may not like the new version of COS 08, but it is an improvement for many and it is certainly a better deal than what was originally on offer thanks to the AOA. More importantly it is about as good as we can expect at the moment! History has shown us that when this company introduce a new scale, there is no going back. Question is are you ready to learn from history? Unfortunately it was our fault that COS 08 was introduced, but if we were ever going to win that one we had to do it years ago. We failed on that score and now have to make the best of a bad situation and cutting off our noses to spite our faces (or rather cutting off the noses of those on COS 08) is not the way to do it. To that end we have 2 choices:

1. Fight the company to put all on COS 99. If that is you choice then look at how the A vs B scale fight went and see if you can predict the future on that front? Nobel cause perhaps, but reality says that it is a lost one.

2. Try to improve the new COS 08 ASAP. To vote no to the AOA will do the exact opposite.

If you want to fight the company then fine go ahead but don’t do it by sacrificing other peoples COS improvements.