PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2009, 01:28
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume the T.C knew how to use the automatics to recover the situation. I assume the F/O knew how to manually fly and recover the situation
Dont assume too much.You'd be surprised just how many dont know what to do in this situation.The data shows that in this case he(TC) did.VS used with 1400 fpm ROD.Whenever the PNF alone knows the way out of a bad situation,theres always delay,distraction,mis-communication etc.He might try to "coach" the PF verbally of just how to do it but time is against him so might end up making the MCP selections himself.If the checklist isnt done and the PF is oblivious to what is going on and distracted from his scan then things can go from bad to worse.The TC(PNF) has to have the extra capacity to be able to handle it all the minute the PF becomes a passenger.Recovery,checklist completion and cloudbreak may have been one distraction too many for him and so the fundamentals(scan) lose out.When stick-shaker comes,hes totally caught out and firewalls but removes his hand from the levers again,oblivious to the AT mode problem from the get-go.
I understand Rainboe's frustration but I dont agree with him.Basic errors have caught crews out before.A very experienced crew flew a serviceable L-1011 right into the Everglades.Nobody was flying the plane.Fly the plane.Always.