PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - popham madness
Thread: popham madness
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2009, 23:50
Dan Dare

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Er no the PFA used a similar system to that used at Oskosh,
The only time they tried full ATC was when the CAA insisted they had it at Wroughton in 1990 or 91.
They dropped it half way through the first day..............
Well actually the PFA Rallies were all full ATC except for the last two Flying-for-fun at Kemble, which were FIS, but with the proviso that the FISOs were also qualified tower ATCOs. The methods by which ATC/FIS was provided changed depending on the needs of the CAA. An implied landing clearance unless sent around seemed to work well. A temporary fudge to allow the FISOs to issue go-around instructions also worked. The fact that many pilots (and air traffic controllers) are unable to tell the difference just highlights the danger of having an ambiguous service provision.

As an Aerial Special Event CAP403 instructs
NOTE: Organisers should ensure that the type of service (i.e. ATC, FIS or AGCS) is suitable for their event and that the event has been adequately notified. ATSD may, in the interests of safety, direct the person in charge of any aerodrome (other than a Government aerodrome) to provide an air traffic control service, a flight information service or an air/ground communication service as ATSD consider appropriate.
It could be that ATSD regard this level of movements to be sensible with A/G, but I doubt that they have been given the opportunity to consider its appropriateness.

I am most certainly not of the HSE "high-viz-vest" brigade, but this event could be safer with little or no loss the fun factor and no loss of movements with procedurs appropriate for the event. Popham A/G are very helpful and I rate the airfield amoung my favourites, but transmitting "cleared for take-off at your discression - roll now!" when the runway is blatantly well occupied (as I experienced there) is asking for trouble. An event like this could also do with the extra pair of eyes on the approach to save the bacon of those with pilots with blind spots on final approach - nobody is immune from these.

I'm looking forward to G-VFWE and the eventual return of a real LAA Rally (2010?) and thank all those, who puts in lots of work to make aviation events safe and enjoyable.