PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - 1800 jobs to go this year
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2001, 23:34
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desk-pilot,

With reference to you first paragraph regarding 'suits', headcount hits', 'pilots' and 'pain'.

I would have to say that unless all the 'suits' start brushing up on their ATPL's it is very unlikely that Pilots will be made redundant in the near future. In fact we are still busy training new entrant Pilots right now.

I'm pleased that the majority of 'suits' you know work very hard and are committed to the airlines success. Likewise most of the people I have contact with (in many departments, 'suits' included) are of the same inclination. Nevertheless I doubt the 'pain' will be evenly applied or even felt at all in some departments. Take the BA board for example, how much pain do you think they will be made to feel? My guess is probably not a lot, which some may consider a touch unfair when you look over the past few years.

You state "Fact is like every airline at the moment we are in a pickle". Call me picky but I'm afraid I don't agree, many airlines are in a pickle but not all.

I do of course sympathize with anyone who is unfortunate enough to find themselves affected by this latest round of job cuts. In the past BA has proved itself as a caring employer and managed cuts through 'natural wastage', I hope this time will be no different.

Regards
Exeng