PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Flight Plan Question
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2009, 19:45
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, those numbers are the help desk for the internet based flight planning system and the person to talk to about setting up a new account.

If one reads that part of the AIP, one is left in no doubt that if you are a solo pilot proceeding from a muddy field in a sparsely populated area to the same kind of place somewhere else that you will find it impossible to file a flight plan and have alerting action taken if you fail to arrive at the destination muddy field as expected.

Isn't this a breach of basic ICAO requirements?

Is there any other country where you can not file a flight plan and have it activated easily unless departing from an aerodrome with an ATS unit and where if you fail to close the flight plan on landing no one ever bothers to come looking for you?

If I tell a responsible person that my ETA at some out of the way place is 1900 and enroute for various reasons I will be 35 minutes late will the FIR or any other ATC unit pass on the updated ETA to the responsible person so that overdue action is not started?

Imagine I am talking to some big military airfield radar unit. They know I am fine and a bit behind time but no problem. Will the MOD ring my Granny's mobile several times to reassure her that she should not worry I am OK just a bit late so don't press the panic botton whan I have not telephoned her within 30 minutes of the time I told her some 5 hours before.

How does the ATC supervisor at LACC or ScOACC feel when there are flights in their area of responsibility that have filed a flight plan but either;

a) They are reported overdue incorrectly or

b) Are not reported overdue when it is necessary?

Duty of Care anyone?

Regards,

DFC