PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA to get 30% rise
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2001, 15:29
Underdog

Wink

Well, well! I have stirred up a hornets nest.

I dunno, go to India for a quick curry and look what happens whilst I'm away!

Plenty of vitriol going around. Anyway, just to respond to a couple of points....

The guvnor :- it's obvious you don't work for BA otherwise you'd know just how arrogant the company is - as someone else pointed out. I signed a letter of acceptance for the job, part of which said that I agreed to their terms and conditions of their offer of employment. The only way to see these terms and conditions was to go to Meadowbank and look them up - they were never sent to people. Whilst it may be true that basic information such as starting salary may have been quoted, the full picture of what we were letting ourselves in for only started to appear once we were on line and others warned us of the many pitfalls of working for BA. Details such as being able to be moved at the companies behest to any fleet in the 1st 5 years - and so on. Many people joined BA thinking the grass was greener - and BA notably encouraged that view, and still does - only to find it was a different shade of brown!

To the guy who suggested I join FR and 'earn' my money. What makes you think that you 'earn' your money and we don't 'earn' ours? You obviously haven't got a clue what LH flying (or SH for that matter) in BA is about or you wouldn't make such stupid comments. I don't attack your work at FR, probably because I know a few people there (or ex-there) and appreciate your work albeit markedly different to ours. Just because our job is different from yours doesn't devalue it in any way.

To anyone who thinks I was looking for sympathy - I wasn't, I was merely stating the facts. I can't disguise the fact that I may be a little p!ssed off with my lack of financial progress during my career, but there you go.

Anyway, talking to some colleagues earlier today it seems they are of the same mind and want to see a dramatic increase in our pay. Having said that, they have as much faith in Balpa as the Virgin guys.

Tin hat back on.

Underdog