PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keep at it Guys. This job is Fantastic
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2009, 12:13
Kelly Hopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I started flying many yonks ago, I was totally focused on getting that PPL. It seems very strange to me now that I never really considered where I was going once I had it. I guess I just kidded myself that once I had a licence to fly everything would fall into place.
Of course it didn't. But at that stage I owed nothing.
I would asume that newbees today are seeing the same tunnel vision. Go and get that loan, work to your fATPL, project yourself into that position now. You have it in your hand along with enough debt to guarantee never being able to afford a home! Now what are you going to do with it?
It makes a good drinks coaster! Frame it. Pat yourself on the back for achieving a very difficult ambition but what are you going to use it for?
See the world for what it is today.
You stand as much chance of walking into that jet job as seeing a return to 125% mortgages on properties worth 1/2 of that.
The world has changed.
This situation is not going to blow over. It will take a great deal of time to work through before we see anything like the last few years.
Aviation has shrunk considerably in a very short period of time. That has put thousands of guys out of work. At what point will any employer look at a new licence holder? Personally, I see no point for the forseeable future at all.
Really. Face facts. You may as well train to be a steam engine driver!