PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are things picking up ?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2002, 01:09
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get over it - Move on!!!

It seems there are two groups of people on this thread.

1. Those that chalk the unfortunate experiences of the past year up to just another cycle, make the most of their situation, and use it as an incentive to move onto something better.
2. Those that consider that the whole world is against them personally and that, consequently, its is somebody else who has to fix up their problems.

Now put yourself into the seat of a potential employer. Who would you rather have working for you? Therefore who would you give first interviews to?

Before you categorize me as someone sitting on the sidelines with a cushy flying job wondering why all these other people are whinging so much, a little about me. I am not flying at present! I was employed by KD and was cleared to line on the CRJ for 3 weeks when the airline collapsed. My last flight was Sept 12, 01. My whole life as I know it, is presently in storage in Canberra waiting for me to find a permanent place to put it. I moved to AD to take up a part time job lecturing aviation stuff to airline cadets with BAE at Parafield for $25/hour (classroom time). It keeps my brain active, and I can use the time productively to brush up on all those things airlines like to ask at interviews. If I wasn't doing that I would probably be mowing lawns, driving taxis or working in a bar. All the time preparing myself for WHEN the elusive interview finally arrives

Too many of my compatriates, who also lost their jobs, have turned into couch potatos since the collapse. This does nothing for your own self esteem, or to help to get that illusive first interview. What do you put down on your CV as present occupation?

Get off the couch and make it happen!!!

This applies equally to the 500 hour pilot looking for your first job. Keep a positive attitude, travel up North to find a job if you have to, pull beers and clean out dunnies while you wait. It's not fair, but that's the industry you want to be a part of. It has always worked in cycles, and it always will. If you keep an optimistic outlook and beleive in yourself you will succeed.