PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birds
Thread: Birds
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2002, 22:19
MaxNg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heliport and fellow pruners

I did not bring up this subject, I just responded to the content and if my singleing out of this one person has caused upset to anyone then please accept my apology.

HOWEVER

There are far better ways of instilling confidence in those that need it without the un-necessery risks that these alledged ( Is that the proper caveat Tudor) demonstations expose people to.

Cran you said

"However, let's consider some human factors and the type of people that Mike Smith will spend most of his time teaching and examining - UK PPL's. These guys typically will not necessarily have any special aptitude for helicopter flight (though of course some will), just the desire to fly or surplus money!

For low time inexperienced pilots I feel that confidence in their ability and the machine will be low (compared to that of more experienced pilots). This in turn can be a major contributing factor in events leading to accidents - 'trying too hard', being tense and uneasy in the air, distracted by trivial details etc, etc. "

You mentioned human factor's

When teaching, the relationship between teacher and student is similar to that of the "parent / child relationship" and like any child the challenge is to emulate it's teacher thus seeking approval from them, THERE LIES THE DANGER !!!!!!!!!
How many children have hurt other children whilst emulating there peers

How on god's earth can trying to operate the aircraft in the maner that it is approved for be a contributory factor in a accident.

Confidence is what the instructor pilot should show to the student in every execise that is demonstrated this confidence will allow the student to relax and learn the task at hand in a more efficient and costworthy manner not only in direct cost to the student but an indirect cost to the rest of the industry in low accident rates and insurance claims.

"Okay - so what happens if the engine did fail? Well it wouldn't surprise me that with MS at the controls if he were to put it on the deck without a scratch but if the worst comes to the worst from 4ft with zero ground speed you going to have a controlled crash and walk away."

If you think that someone can defy the laws of physics just because they have a loads of hours, then you and them are heading for a wake up call, I just hope that youre right.

If these stories are typical flying club barstool brags, blown all out of proportion in the vein attempt to get to impress a audiance then I guess I have ranted for nothing but I will not apologise for having standards

over