PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian Pilots to strike over crash
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 22:44
ad-astra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok now that all the one liners and shoot from the hip "high almighty" comments have been made could we possibly discuss this issue with the importance it needs.

We discussed this very incident at a recent CRM course and most attendees were most uncomfortable with the issues at either end of this incidents spectrum.

On face value the incident was unbelievable in the degree of extremes that were shown by this crew in managing (or not) this aircraft.
Look a bit deeper and you might just find a few systemic issues that we in our ivory towers would wince at.

GPWS training, CRM training, SOPs were all part of this accident.

Is it productive to jail a pilot in such circumstances or any accident.

Did he in fact get a fair trial.

Were issues such as Garuda's SOP's ,GPWS training discussed and understood by the jury of judges.

In a country like Indonesia are CRM issues even understood let alone accepted.

Was the pilot suffering from physiological effects from stress and was this raised and or understood.

I am not here to defend this crew but beware the tiger when you unlock this particular legal cage.

At what point will YOU defend a pilot here in Australia from legal action?
What parameters will YOU apply before he is thrown to the tigers?
What penalty will YOU accept as being fair?

I am conscious that many people died on this flight and any comments will be read with a high degree of emotion particularly by those directly affected but I for one am glad that I wasn't sitting in the Judges' seat.

Please don't turn this into an Indonesian Aviation bashing thread - it's a little more important than that.

As for the name calling and criticism of a particular posters names - for heaven's sake take it away and make your petty attacks via PM - the rest of us really don't want to listen.
The moderators have allowed the names it's their train set and anyone reading this website specifically typed in the PPrune address.
Go back to face book if that is all you have to offer to the discussion.