PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The right to work in Canada...
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 21:15
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YHZChick

While I don't think the sky is falling just yet, like many others, I read industry data on a daily basis, as well as financials. Particularly the airline industry (that's where i work) and oil prices (after the paperwork, that's usually what gets an aeroplane into the air). Before we get into it, I'm sure most aviators keep their ears pretty close to that kind of info as well. But, maybe each of us analyse the data differently?
If there's one thing I've learned over the last 30 years it's that we are a small country (population). We have far too many air carriers (for our population). We have an economy that really isn't what we might think it is, or think it should be. We have the tar sands, one of the largest oil reserves on the planet (despite Alberta's opinion on who owns what) and still we have a list of failed carriers the length of which is amazing for such an insignificant part of the overall global aviation picture.
(Google Peak Oil)
That said, based on what I read, see, hear and base my opinions on, it's going to get ugly. Based on the past (we're you paying a mortgage when we had 23% mortgage rates?) there's going to be some bad luck arriving soon at an air carrier near you.
As far as WHO? I'm not that smart. Sorry.
There used to be a national carrier called Sabena.
There used to be a national carrier called Swissair.
Air Canada was privatized years ago and our government is bailing out the auto industry right now. Don't hedge your bets just yet.

LC and 777

When I contracted overseas the interest in my being Canadian had much less to do with my ATPL than it did with my holding a Canadian Passport. Trips were rearranged occasionally because of destination and passport requirements which the assigned crew failed to meet.
In case you haven't noticed, lots of foreign pilots are immigrating to Canada to get that passport and continue working overseas. I've seen crew enter foreign countries with passport A, passport B, or passport C.
Look at the ads today for pilots. I see JAA/FAA/ICAO licence preferred.
What do you see? Canadian ATPL?
Our FLT OPS payed lots of bucks for crew Visas and entry fines.
The number of Canadians impacted? Zero. We entered so many countries without Visas or entry restrictions you wouldn't believe. One night stop we had to leave an Egyptian F/A and a Syrian L/M on the aircraft because they were refused entry to this particular country. After cash payment of a fine and many hours of negotiation, they were allowed to join the crew at their hotac.

I'm not so sure the licence is held in that high esteem. ICAO oversight pretty much sets the standards by which most signatories comply. Regulators such as the JAA and FAA (primarily the FAA) set their own standard.

Just talking out loud over here, and not necessarily looking for agreement or disagreement. It's strictly my experience and interpretation.
Enjoy.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 14th May 2009 at 00:37.