PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stroppy First Officers - CRM issue
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 18:47
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With respect to the cockpit authority gradient, it is every bit as much the captains job, as it is the first officers, to make individual adjustments to maintain the optimum gradient. If the FO is being overassertive/authorative, the captain should IMHO make an effort to be even clearer on who is in command.
bfisk, I understand what you are saying here and your remarks show that you have very much got the CRM message - well done!

Where I would differ though is that a Captain should not have to remind the FO as to who is ultimately in charge. If any FO does not understand this then I would suggest that something basic has been missed at some stage during training (whether at the basic level or later or during, for example, conversion or line training) or even selection. And please don't misunderstand me here - I would be the first to let the FO operate a sector with minimal suggestion or intervention wherever possible. Neither am I inferring that the FO does not question something which he considers is outside the SOPs or unsafe.

CRM works both ways I agree. But what this FO doesn't appreciate is the extent to which the Captain is already making "adjustments" to cope with the FOs attitude and weak CRM.

Last edited by fireflybob; 27th Apr 2009 at 21:21.