PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keep at it Guys. This job is Fantastic
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 13:50
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without trying to do the mods' job for them, I've been around long enough (as both a wannabe and a commercial pilot) to know what this forum is about. Firstly it gives wannabes somewhere to get free and (hopefully) impartial advice - let's not forget just how daunting and confusing this game can be for the average zero-hours wannabe. I met quite a few of them at a certain show last Saturday, and by God do some of them need some advice . . .

Secondly - and from personal experience, almost as important - it gives wannabes a chance to read the occasional inspiring post from someone who started off in their shoes and is now driving something fast and shiny, while sipping coffee at flight-level whatever.

Getting to the airlines is a long and bloody hard slog, whoever you are and whichever route you take. I had several moments when I came close to jacking it in and staying put in my safe, boring, 9-5 office job. When I was wavering, it was the inspirational 'day in the life' type stories (particularly Pilot Pete's, but there were others) which kept me going.

Thank God I did, because job-wise I'm happier now than I have ever been in my entire life. That's despite having just endured an LPC in the middle of the night (again) and having been up for work at 04:30 so often recently that my body thinks I should wake up at 05:00 on my days off. Despite doing four or six sector days where I barely have time to go to the loo, never mind eat anything, and despite some part of my anatomy setting off the sodding metal detector every time I go to work. It's worth it because I love flying, and I work with professionals who also love flying. I'll say it again - it's more of a way of life than a job.

That's a message that I think is worth telling, and that's why I think this type of thread is so important.