PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA exam exemptions for military pilots- is it fair??
Old 15th Jul 2001, 03:37
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add my tuppences worth:- everybody knows that the previous CAA theory exams were a pointless load of b******s with almost zero relevance to modern flying. I am assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) that todays JAR exams are in a broadly similar vein. I really can't see the value in asking a highly experienced military multi engine pilot to pass a load of irrelevant theory exams on VP props and HF propagation in order to certify that they are safe to fly as P2 in an airliner. All the relevant theory of a specific aircraft they require will be covered in a type conversion ground school, and they have amply demonstrated during military service their ability to pole the aircraft round the sky. The only thing likely to be missing is an understanding of civil air law, a subject from which they are not exempt under JAR regs.

To return to Basils original posting, I consider it reasonable that a licenced flight engineer should be exempted from some of the technical exams in the JAR syllabus. That they have not been I put down to the dwindling numbers and political clout of the flight engineers in comparison the miltary jocks.

A number of people have offered some highly dubious statistics about the safety of ex-mil pilots. To these people I would say that any ex-mil pilot will have many years to learn the civil flying trade while they sit in the right hand seat, and when they achieve command it will be through the same rigorous training process which there civilian counterparts undergo. Furthermore I can add that in my company I've yet to fly with an ex-military captain (fast jet or ME) who hasn't been extremely competent and a pleasure to fly with. And usually a damn site less boring than some of the career civvies to boot!!!

Edited for typos!

[ 14 July 2001: Message edited by: Carnage Matey! ]