PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New FRI for RAF Pilots?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 11:27
MINself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have a similar story to CA - I bit the bullet whilst in my mid 30s and jumped from the AAC to an on-shore and now an off-shore rotary operation. As a former Pilot with 10+ years of service and a couple of thousand hours I saw the benefits to me as greatest if I left the army, both from less time spent away from home and the bank balance at the end of the month!
The FRI, as applied to the AAC was too far away as an incentive for me to stay, as was the pension, and the allowances just too insignificant. I now find myself from having been on a mid level Rank/Aircraft Commander pay scale to now being paid an equivalent to a Major on the top level flying pay in just a couple of years!!!... And that is set to improve again shortly.
Unlike some I took the leap rather than be tied to the military as I didn't want to find it increasingly difficult to gain a rewarding position latter on when age can go against one. It has paid off for me and I have have no regrets. It doesn't have to be all about the money... but it sure does help