PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New FRI for RAF Pilots?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2009, 20:39
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brerakscrew,

Thank you for your post - you appear to be in the know. My tuppence worth if it adds anything.

Surely the treasury and bean counters must recognise that there are currently so many aircrew just sitting on their hands patiently watching and waiting for the 'green shoots' of recovery. Just as the ministers all clap their hands with joy as we come out of recession, so do the aircrew that are on the 15-20th tour of AFG?

My point being that not even a Govt that is destined to be replaced next year (if all opinion polls are to be believed) is going to shaft not only the Govt that takes over, but also the MoD when it suddenly hits critical mass as experienced aircrew walk into civvie life (nationally and internationally)?

The other area regarding 'not being hopeful and accepting what we currently have' with regard to flying pay, must again be a real short term view. What is the motivation for a Sqn Ldr to get promoted, when he or she can easily loaf in a crew room with no additional qualifications happily gaining all of the perks of PA?

Again, from a Treasury perspective the costs of FRIs (and the real retention) compared to a long term levelling of the playing field and strategic rention method must surely make financial sense? If not, then it is my personal belief that in 2012 H M Treasury will have to do one of 2 things, either dramatically cut the number of cockpits or put aside a significant amount of funding for even more 'extreme' FRIs.

As everyone is noting on this forum - taking the pension at the 38 year point equates to around £600 a month, where as even the 100k only reaches £500 a month.

The maths does not add up and anyone at any desk that is lulling themselves into a false sense of HR manning security based upon a recession that our own Chancellor is declaring will be over by 2010 is just asking for trouble or is willing to transfer significant risk to H M Forces as it continues to need experienced aircrew to fly very demanding missions in a very real war.

Make all flying pay pensionable - ensure that those career mahogny desk pilots are not disadvantaged by promotion to ensure that the brightest and the best do stay and are financially rewarded.

Oh, and by the way I am PA - earning my keep with a few 'I's after my name, but I know many that have left as soon as they have got their Wing Commander pension in the bag, because again the maths does not add up.

To the treasury and to the members of the AFPRB conducting this QQR - do the maths and look beyond the recession.

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 27th Apr 2009 at 06:30.