PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2009, 19:03
parvatti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cielazur, I thought "THE pilot of the Emirates flight..." was misleading because there were four pilots, with two operating.

As well, I thought the journalist presented some pretty hard data (i.e., the investigation is looking at a typing error, cockpit distractions, CRM... and she names the inquiry head) but that she didn't have much more than hearsay about the pilot's level of sleep deprivation (only that a source said he "barely" slept and was "almost" at his threshold for hours - vague stuff).

Might have just been the way I was reading it, but I wondered why the headline was so blunt when the text of the article says the error "couldn't be committed by one person alone," and that "a range of things comes together," and then goes on to dissect the corporate culture. AND that the headline said "WAS sleep-deprived" instead of "may have been sleep-deprived." After all, the pilots' mental states can't be known by the journalist, and the initial report has not been published yet.

(Not saying I don't imagine her theory could be correct. I don't know anybody who was involved. I know nothing!)