PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Jet
Thread: Sea Jet
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2009, 12:39
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini-Tomcat

As far as the mid-life update from FRS1 to 2, then smartly to FA2 label, the following improvements were planned / hoped for;

A Bubble canopy, without the old style flat windscreen,

Improved head-down instruments

JTIDS

Blue Vixen

Infra Red Seeker Tracker

And most importantly, a larger wing, carrying AMRAAMS on outboard pylons ( as well as the 2 underfuselage in place of the gunpods if desired ) and wingtip mounted Sidewinders / ASRAAMS.

The senior Naval Test Pilot was really keen on a Lithium Alloy wing, rather than carbon fibre.

From what I've seen, I have to agree ! Carbon fibre is a bit lighter, and convenient in peacetime, but doesn't like knocks & scrapes, and doesn't show any internal damage without time and expense consuming procedures, while a 'tin wing' would have been a lot more suitable to fighting a war from a carrier.

I have photo's of the artists' impression of the whole thing with this wing, and the ( real ) proposed cockpit display on a rig - if anyone's interested I'll put them on here or PM them as soon as I get my proper PC back from repair.

I think the 'mini-tomcat' is a fair description, if you've got a big but relatively stealthy radar & AMRAAMS, and eventually ASRAAM with helmet mounted sight you don't need to go around corners like an F-16 !

The 'deterrent' effect mentioned would be increased by rather a large factor ?

In the Falklands, it's been stated that the Mirages had no radar warning receiver - while the Brit's had that ( mostly ) but no decoy countermeasures fitted, some resorting to bunches of tin foil stowed above the airbrake.

It seems now that the much vaunted AIM9L didn't really get a chance to shine, as most if not all engagements were against retreating aircraft; but no doubt it's presence was well known to the Argentinians, which must have played a large part in deterrence.