PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keep at it Guys. This job is Fantastic
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2009, 10:06
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started flying, professionally, in 1986. At that time I was told that there was an upcoming shortage of pilots and the future would be all rosy and we would all have £150,000 plus jobs ad infinitum.

Oddly enough, it is now 2009 and I still haven't seen the panacea pilot shortage that will lead me to the hallowed land of low flying hours, massive pay and retirement at 55 with a yacht.

Aircraft are being laid up in the deserts of Nevada at an unprecedented rate. Not just the venerable old DC10's, 11's, MD 80's, L1011's etc. But modern aircraft, 737-800's, Airbuses etc. Boeing and Airbus have announced cuts to their production lines as airlines defer orders with no deferment date. There are not enough passengers travelling to fill the seats on the aircraft currently flying. Experienced, type rated and current airline pilots cannot find jobs. And still, the FTO's and inexperienced first job pilots crow about 'keep at it lads, stiff upper lip'.

When airlines start recruiting, as they surely will, they will start with the qualified pilots first who are a low training risk, quick startups to the line and easy to integrate. Once the pool of those pilots has been scavenged then, and only then, will they start looking at the training risk that is an ab-initio pilot.

Here is a friendly piece of advice. If you really, really, really want to train now then do so, go off some where exotic, get a job in a bar and kick about a bit flying some piece of junk between islands. Then, when the above scenario has played out come back and apply for an airline job. At least you will have a bit of cockpit banter that differs from the Oxford/Cabair 'let me tell you when I flew a Seneca'.

Otherwise. I, personally, would wait to see how the aviation industry pans out over the next year or two before committing yourself to alot of debt in an era where the country has committed itself and you to more debt than most of us can already handle.

Have a good long think.

JohnnyDB

Just watch a pilot lose his medical, his world comes crashing down.
There are enough professions out there where people cheat their way to getting declared unfit to work. my 2 cents
Forgive me but I just don't get your banter????