PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The right to work in Canada...
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2009, 02:33
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some may have confused ACMI with the hiring of foreign pilots. They are not the same thing, IMHO.

ACMI is Sunwings' (and others) way of circumventing the real issue. I understand why they don't want to purchase or lease any more aircraft facing one of the most severe downturns in the airline/charter airline industry the world has ever seen. If they didn't ACMI, it would probably ensure their own demise.
ACMI? Good business and fair enough.

When operators take on additional aircraft through a lease or purchase and not through ACMI, they have to then go out and recruit, hire, train and put into service, legitimate Canadian pilots. They claim there aren't enough qualified (type rated) and experienced (4000 plus hours of international flying) Canadian pilots out there to employ. Which I don't doubt. But I say, at least use the ones that are there before you employ foreign pilots! Which I'm not convinced they're doing or even trying to do. Our guys and gals deserve to gain international flight experience too.

Believe what you want.
I for one, believe Canadian pilots should be employed by Canadian air carriers and if Sunwing or any other carrier in this country for that matter, directly hires a foreign pilot under the present environment should be subjected to the severest of fines and penalties for lying to the Government about the 'real' pilot situation in this country.
The situation is quite simply that THEY don't want to train Canadian pilots by having to provide a type rating (as witnessed by training contracts). Why? Because, some of those pilots they insist on stiffing, might leave. (...and they might go out of business)
To me, that's the real issue and that's not the same as an ACMI.
To me, that's not a legitimate shortage of qualified pilots and it's NO reason to directly employ foreign pilots either.

BTW, I totally agree with Chuck. If you think our Canadian ATPL is world class , I suggest you take a closer look. You might start by attempting the JAA exams or taking a 61.58.

Willie