PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keep at it Guys. This job is Fantastic
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2009, 09:08
Deano777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by handflown

THIS MEANS IN A FEW YEARS THERE WILL BE A BIG PILOT SHORTAGE AGAIN.
This business will pick up and airlines will not be able to train people quick enough. Its happened before and it will happen again.

So this is the time to do your ATPL so you will be ready 2-3 years down the line for when the job market picks up - Trust me.
Nice post but I have to question these two statements, I'm not sure there has ever been a "big pilot shortage", a shortage (not big) of experienced pilots yes, but a shortage of 200hr wannabes? I don't think so, and you guys doing your training now will be just that, inexperienced 200hr (150hr if you integrate) wannabes.

The second part of that quote also needs picking apart, I would read what wobble2plank wrote, I have been advocating that on these boards for a while, when the upturn comes it will be great, airlines will be recruiting again but there are so many experienced chaps & chappettes out there without jobs how long before they are hoovered up? My guess is (only my opinion) it will take 18 months or more for them to be sucked up. That could be 3-4 years from now, or even longer.
Also I am not sure I would "trust" any one individual posting on these boards, I am sure handflown is a man of integrity, but one's judgement shouldn't be clouded just because we "love our job". If it were me I would make informed decisions based on a concensus etc etc.

Anyway, good luck with your training people, work hard, stay positive