PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keep at it Guys. This job is Fantastic
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2009, 08:42
handflown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep at it Guys. This job is Fantastic

Hi Guys/Gals,

Just wanted to say a little something. In the Terms of Endearment forum there is a thread about what you like about this job. Have a look at it. It is great to see that we all do love what we do which is why we do it. So often on this website it is full of negatives and I talk to allot of Wannabees around the UK and Europe who question this as a career so I thought I would convert my feelings into your wnnabe forum.

I started training for my ATPL exactly 8 years ago today and now I am a Captain. I have flown a variety of types from Biz Jets, Turbo -props to the B737.

I just wanted to say keep at it. This is a fantastic job and you will definately be glad you started this career when you get here. Its simply amazing and I seem to enjoy it more every day. There are so many plus points. The money is very good despite what allot of people say. Just compare it to other careers. Allot of people forget that we get allot of allowances and flight pay which is only partly taxed so our take home is allot better. We don't work that hard. I think I have only worked a full week about twice in 5-6 years. In the winter I often only work 5-10 days a month!!!!

The main reason this job is so great is that generally we all love doing it. You are around like minded people who all have worked hard to get here (pilots and cabin crew) and we all just have a great time. We all just love it and 99% of people that are in the industry are really good guys. The banter is great the job is fantastic and the views are amazing. Its a happy atmosphere to work in and you gain a tremendous amount of professional satisfaction. I can go on and on about why we like to fly aircraft.

Please do not feel put off by the current economic crisis this is the right time to learn. We have seen recessions many times before and this industry like many others has peaks and troughs. Just remember right now the industry is bad. No-one is recruiting. Most wannabes are not learning to fly as they think it is an unsafe thing to do and often can't get bank funding to start. Many may not percieve this as a viable career option. However many pilots have become unemployed in the UK and gone off to the middle east or asia for an ex-pat lifestyle. Many pilots are taking voluntary redundancy and still the same amount are retiring.

THIS MEANS IN A FEW YEARS THERE WILL BE A BIG PILOT SHORTAGE AGAIN. This business will pick up and airlines will not be able to train people quick enough. Its happened before and it will happen again.

So this is the time to do your ATPL so you will be ready 2-3 years down the line for when the job market picks up - Trust me.

When you get here you will love it. One thing I notice guys is that as I get older my friends in other professions seem to work harder and harder. Long hours every day and they have stresses and strains of targets and appraisals and deadlines etc etc.

I don't haha.

I get off the aircraft and leave work behind me.

Today I did a 4 hour duty, started at 7am LOCAL finished at 11am LOCAL and I am now spending the day at the gym then sitting in a beer garden in the sun. My friends are still in the office.

Funny thing is I had such a great time at work all week I really can't wait to go back to work again next week.

You can't put a price on that.

I remember what it is like when you are training and wondering if you will ever get there. We all take different amounts of time to get there depending on the market but you will get there trust me.

Keep at it guys, I look forward to flying with you.

Handflown

Last edited by handflown; 24th Apr 2009 at 09:50.