PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toxic cabin air is more poisonous than reckoned
Old 20th Apr 2009, 09:49
nicolai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carjockey: The key thing here appears to be that we are talking about fumes from combusted oils, the properties of which are totally different from the fumes from the same oils in a non-combusted state.
Indeed they are! My understanding of the entire oil-contaminated-cabin-air issue so far is that crews report problems after engine bleed air is contaminated by (unburnt) oil, from leaking HP compressor seals and similar. Is anyone complaining about ending up breathing turbine combustion products on a regular basis? Bleed air shouldn't have any combustion products (from the turbine combustion chamber) unless your turbine has some serious problems... "SMOKE/FUMES" covers a lot of things, in this case not a combustion product.
TCP has a flashpoint of 410C (thanks for the reminder of the MSDS for TCP above) so it's going to burn as soon as it reaches the turbine combustion chamber - what comes out the turbine exhaust is not going to be TCP, it's going to be TCP combustion products. How nice they are is good question, but separate from TCP toxicity - this MSDS reckons "carbon oxides (CO, CO2)" which are relatively not so bad.
As to high-performance 2-stroke oils having different ingredients, I couldn't find any information showing expected significant toxicity from even the most elite racing motorcycle oils and no mention of TCP or neurotoxicity from any of them. I'd welcome pointers to any MSDS showing this in any two-stroke land engine oil.