PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407
Thread: Bell 407
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2009, 18:01
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am wondering if you are on a crusade for the Enstrom 480
I'm not on a crusade for anything except safe, professional grade flying. I have trained in the 407, R44, R22, and 480, and currently own a 480 as a time builder to get to "reasonable" insurance rates in a 407. My experience in all of these machines had been generally positive, with no malfunctions in any of them while I have been flying. Every helicopter is a bundle of compromises, including the 480, and each has its strengths and weaknesses. I am trying to get a better handle on the tradeoffs involved with the 407.

I think you should look more at the engine itself,
Agreed. And while the 407 engine is a 250 series, it is quite different from the C20. I am wondering if the the C47B has a siginificantly different pattern of failures?

Maybe you should have looked at all mechanical failures in the helicopter industry, I am sure if you looked at that you might of taken up cycling instead
Been flying airplanes for more than 40 years and am quite familiar with the data there. All airplanes are definitely not created equal when it comes to safety and reliability. I am relatively new to helicopters, but I suspect that the same is true for RW but to a different degree.