PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightdeck PA Announcements
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2009, 18:04
Panop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA Humour

It's interesting to note how many of these relate to Aussie crew - a generally more relaxed attitude to communication exists Down Under, I think.

Anyway, my one is also from Oz. Mid 1980s, Ansett 733, delayed flight from Proserpine (Tropical North Queensland) to Brisbane, via Mackay and Rockhampton, one busy Saturday. The delay was only about an hour or so but a lot of the pax had tight onward connections in Brisbane and the air con in the (then) really tiny and very basic Proserpine terminal had given up resulting in some literally hot and bothered pax who were not entirely friendly to the cabin crew when they finally got to board the flight.

Pre take off the cabin crew (all female) picked a male pax from the crowd and persuaded him to stand up whilst they did the safety briefing. This attracted the curiosity of the rest of the (still mainly unhappy) pax who then watched fascinated as the ladies not only did the usual demo but also dressed their 'victim' in a life jacket and helped him locate the straps, inflation controls, etc and showed him to the emergency exits. This at least took the complainers minds off their whinges and got the safety message across.

Just a very short hop to Mackay and a few more pax boarded. The 'victim' was persuaded to stand up and demonstrate to the new pax all he had learned about lifejackets and exits whilst one of the FAs did the PA briefing with some light hearted digs at the fairly confused performance. The 'new FA' was given some assistance from the crew who were having a great time with this, as now were all the rest of the pax - though the just boarded pax seemed to find this all a bit strange! The cabin was now in near party mode and I guarantee the safety briefing was given 100% attention and all points were covered.

Then the same again departing Rocky but this time our new friend was persuaded to do a full demo and PA, with just a couple of necessary corrections from one of the FAs. Again 100% attention as everyone tried to follow the moves and with loud applause and cheers at the end. All mistakes (not many - he was getting good!) were professionally corrected by the crew and everyone on board knew the full drill by this time - probably the only flight I've ever been on when all the pax were genuinely aware of all the necessary safety stuff. And, by now, happy as well.

By this time the FAs could do no wrong, the rest of the trip was a joy and the service excellent for a fairly short domestic sector. More loud cheers and applause for the crew on arrival. On leaving the plane everyone got a kiss, handshake or a hug from the FAs - I've never seen that elsewhere and doubt I ever will again!

Probably heaps of rules broken, wouldn't be surprised if the girls even got in trouble from higher up the foodchain afterwards but the bottom line was it worked - and brilliantly. Top marks!