PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 - 3
Thread: Jet2 - 3
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2009, 11:20
harrogate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't disagree that it's hard on the staff, but what does a company do in the current climate?

Given their market and the state it's in, it's only natural that they should want to fellate the shareholders for a while. What's the other option? It's schmooze or lose right now.

Jet2 aren't unique for putting the squeeze on their employees at the moment. My missus has has had to take a 1/5 pay cut and a 12 month bonues freeze - and that's all based merely on the fear of the recession by her company, because they've just had a record year and have won more new business than ever before. Arguably that's more galling, but it's the name of the game right now. It's hard, but she understands (well, she does now).

Same deal in other companies around here at the moment, be they new media or heavy engineering. It's a sign of the times.

People are quick to bang on about shrwedness and prudence when talking about the state of the economy right now, yet they throw all manner of abuse at employers, banks, etc who are trying to exercise genuine caution.

And you get HR and marketing incompetence in most companies. I don't know the ins and out of what you're referring to when you talk about marketing and HR goofs, but let's hope Jet2 learn quickly in areas like that where they could be doing much better.

Last edited by harrogate; 15th Apr 2009 at 11:31.