PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building in Florida..visa
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2009, 19:30
B2N2

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
also i stand to be corrected. no biannual review is needed. Just get your license validated,get letter of authencitity,meet FSDO official, rental school checks you out
Just to make this clear, you DO need the BFR to validate/activate your piggy back license.
It states it clearly in the FAA Inspectors handbook (formerly order 8900)
which is available online:
Flight Standards Information System (FSIMS)

Almost at the bottom:
Part 61: Issue a Title 14 CFR Part 61 U.S. Pilot Certificate on the Basis of a Foreign-Pilot License
I quote:

As a point of emphasis, make clear to the applicant that a flight review (see § 61.56 ) must be administered by the holder of an FAA flight instructor certificate with the appropriate ratings before he/she may exercise the privileges of his/her U.S. pilot certificate. The proficiency checks administered by a foreign flight instructor do not count as meeting the flight review requirements of § 61.56
OK, with that out of the way let's discuss the requirements of the Flight review itself.
14 CFR 61.56 states (amongs other things):

a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (f) of this section, a flight review consists of a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour of ground trainingThe review must include:

(1) A review of the current general operating and flight rules of part 91 of this chapter; and

(2) A review of those maneuvers and procedures that, at the discretion of the person giving the review, are necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate.

The FAA provides guidance on their website as to how a 61.56 Flight review needs to be conducted:
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/m...ght_review.pdf
It's 26 pages by the way.
Same as in Europe the flight review is not meant as a rubber stamping excercise. It is an evaluation of pilot skills and knowledge which you officially cannot fail as it's not a skills test or checkride as such but your instructor may require more training prior to signing the logbook.
With that out of the way let's discuss what has been mentioned in previous posts

I think with the instructor ground time (an hour or so) the total cost was below $300. That $1900 is a rip off! Assuming you are current it really shouldn't be more than a check ride and a little chat to see if you can read the map and know how to make use of the ATC services.
and:

So this offer from EAA was then a rip off offer?
Cost of the flight review is difficult to predict.
It ultimately depends on how many hrs ground and flight instruction you require
Preparation will obviously reduce the cost.
If, just for the sake of the discussion, we assume:

6 hrs ground ( 2 hrs G1000, 4 hrs Flight review) $420
6 hrs flight ( DA 40 FP/CS) $1,476
For a total of $1,896"
It is good to know, because he frequently posts on these forums too.
I find both statements offensive to a professional flight instructor.

**** Disclaimer, the following rant is not aimed at any of the above posters personally. The word "you" is meant generically as being "you" the reader ****

You need to stop comparing apples and oranges.
There is a big difference between somebody that has a US PPL and have done all of their training in the US and somebody who holds a piggyback license based on a foreign license and NEVER having flown in the US.
It is simply irresponsible to treat both the same.
It seems obvious that "push this button" instruction for 30 min doesn't cut it as far as G1000 operations are concerned.
You will need every minute of those two hours power point presentation and G1000 table top sim. The last one I did took 3 hours because the customer had a lot of (good) questions.
4 hours of ground school is on the low side even if I have to teach you everything thing that a US PPL already knows as far as:
  • Airspace
  • Charts
  • Publications
  • Notams
  • Radio communications
  • ATC services available
  • Weather briefings (ground and airborne)
  • Regulations ( all VFR related portions of Part 91)
  • Maintenance requirements
  • Accident and Incident reporting requirements.

Four flights (6 hours) in:
  • an airplane type that is unfamiliar
  • with avionics that are unfamiliar
  • in airspace that is unfamiliar
  • with radio communications and procedures that are unfamiliar
is certainly not outrageous, more bitter necessity.
One hour of ground school is maybe barely enough to have you safely fly the traffic pattern at a non-towered airport, let alone have you fly cross country.

If anything I apologize for giving a quote that may very well be too low.

Let's not forget the purpose of this timebuilding; it is meant for you to learn on your own. Safely extend your own horizons and expand on your knowledge and experience.
Not to simply drill holes in the sky and fly to the same airport for 20 hours simply because you don't know (or are not proficient enough) to go anywhere else.

Florida is app. 400 NM long, that is from Key West to Tallahassee.
Lake Okeechobee is 25NM wide and 35 NM long, that's wider then the English Channel. From Marathon to the mainland is 26 NM, wider then the English channel. As a PPL in the US you have access too and the responsibility to know how to operate out of some pretty big airports. Even if it wasn't your original destination but you have to deviate because of weather or other problems.
To have somebody fly throughout Florida without the proficiency and the skills to ask for weather updates and ATC services in an airplane that they don't know is irresponsible.
Sending somebody who's never flown in the US before off in an airplane with the advise of "stay away from the coloured bits on the chart" is criminal.
Either our requirements are too high or their's too low.
Your decision, we have made ours.
In the mean time, if you have any questions, as always feel free to send me an email or PM.

Last edited by B2N2; 14th Apr 2009 at 19:47.