PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building in Florida..visa
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2009, 13:56
tigermagicjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The paperwork for validation of JAR PPL with UK CAA and the FAA took just around 4 - 5 weeks, and for me is valid until August.

I wanted to go there and get some hours of experience - but not at any price.

And as some people mention regarding the weather in Florida, can be pretty rough sometimes, I have spent much time in Miami the last 5 years on private / business trips - and is not sunshine every day, specially autumn/winter can get nasty.

Once I drove from Miami (Sunshine) to Naples - I stopped and turned around half way, it was not possible to drive to Naples because of to heavy storms, this was in the middle of June.

I think before there was savings because of the exchange rate - now it's no worse or better then anywhere else. Also it is about learning to fly safely in various weather conditions, not just flying when it is CAVOK with vis. +10km!
What's the challenge and fun just to fly in clear weather?

I did briefly look online eg. someone mention Michigan, however rental prices there are similar.

So now the flight review should not cost me more then 1 hours GS + 1 hour flying?

So this offer from EAA was then a rip off offer?
Cost of the flight review is difficult to predict.
It ultimately depends on how many hrs ground and flight instruction you require.

Preparation will obviously reduce the cost.
If, just for the sake of the discussion, we assume:
  • 6 hrs ground ( 2 hrs G1000, 4 hrs Flight review) $420
  • 6 hrs flight ( DA 40 FP/CS) $1,476
  • For a total of $1,896"
It is good to know, because he frequently posts on these forums too.