PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ryr Landed In a taxyway by mistake in CAG
Old 14th Apr 2009, 13:31
eastern wiseguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a controller I hear from pilots that it is THEIR responsibility for the aircraft(sometimes I am told a controller is there in an ADVISORY capacity)........funny how you now seem to want to hang the Italian guys out to dry(not that there might not be some degree of culpability but who wants to wait for the facts to appear).

I wonder if there seems to be a history of mis-identifying runways/taxiways or over runs in a particular company then there would appear to be SERIOUS questions which need to be addressed by that company's chief pilot.

[QUOTE]The Tower controllers immediately realise that something's not going right. About 1300 metres from the runway, the Boeing leaves the glide slope and veers a few degrees away from the original course. The controllers are not in contact with the captain, still tuned on Decimomannu's frequency because of the poor visibility, and cannot contact him - procedures advise against this, as it would distract the pilot in the most critical phase of the flight. They call Decimo for more information, but in the mean time, the aircraft has already landed. All's well that ends well. But what would've happened if a fuel truck or another airplane had been on the taxiway?[QUOTE/]

I have just read the above.....if true...what could the CAG tower controller do realistically?

Last edited by eastern wiseguy; 14th Apr 2009 at 13:41.