PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have I Been Stupid - OFT
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2009, 13:17
KandiFloss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man C Flyer.

I gained my JAA PPL at OFT in Sept 2006. I clearly remember their advert in the back of Pilot magazine. At that point they advertised their '3 week' PPL for £3195 based on the exchange rates at the time. In total it cost me $12,000 (PPL + Acc), which was approx £6038. So just bear that in mind! If i'd had my time again I would have done my PPL here.

When I was there 'J-P' (John Pierre?) was in charge. All i'm going to say about him (on here) is that he threatened to cancel my M-1 visa if I went elsewhere after a dispute ... so I will let you read into that whatever you want. Not a good advert for a 'Cabair' approved school. In hindsight I should have reported him really. At that point Andrew Mclaird was a CFI and he was the only person (high up) who helped when I had a problem.

With regard to their aircraft I guess they were the usual flying school work-horses. I remember flying one of their C-152's once (before my first solo) and shortly after take-off we had smoke coming from behind the flight-instrument panel. This was un-nerving to say the least.

If you read the other thread about 'OFT-joke' on this Professional Forum it is true that they fine you if you leave things in the aircraft. I never got fined as I never left anything in the aircraft ... but just be aware!

If I was you I would pay the extra to fly the PA-28 rather than the C-152, but then i'm biased.

It took me around 5 weeks to gain my PPL (60 hours total time/10 hours solo), and that was flying twice a day, but I gave myself one day a week off for a break and there was the odd slot that was cancel due to the weather. As far as I can remember only one other girl and a South African guy passed their skills test in the time that I was there. I would advise that you try to get as many exams out of the way before you go.

As for the accomodation ... it's basic but you're not going there for a holiday ! Oh yes, make sure that you take ant killer and cockroach killer for the kitchen unless you want to share your breakfast .

If you want anymore info PM me.

PC

Last edited by KandiFloss; 14th Apr 2009 at 13:36.