PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should officers spend compulsory time in the ranks?
Old 14th Apr 2009, 09:38
NUFC1892

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
It is up to his SNCO instructors to ensure that he has a thorough understanding of his position in the world. It follows that the NCO instructor role - Regt and PEd usually - is vital in their initial training.

And not just Regt and PEd. As one recalls it is Appendix 22 to QRs which lists the duties of various NCO ranks. For WOs this includes something along the lines of 'Training junior officers'.
A couple of points if I may:

1. It is Appx 27 to QRs. The lack of backbone in many WOs, coupled with their dismissal of anyones opinion but their own is, for me, a large part of the problem. There is not enough understanding that anyones 1st tour is going to be a steep learing curve and everyone has to learn somewhere. Yes, there will be some bloody-minded individuals who believe that because they have passed IOT and professional trg they know it all, it is down to the WO to educate them otherwise - if necessary. It is not always necessary, particularly for those commisioned later in life (25+) who have the experience and wisdom, coupled with the intelligence and energy to make good leaders in a very short space of time. Those that need greater guidance should be given it, sometimes forcefully, sometimes less so. The greatest disservice is for someone to be dismissed as being an idiot without those with responsibility trying their utmost to develop them.

2. Second point is mess membership. The more the merrier, if I want to sit in my wing backed chair dribbling from various outlets and talking about the good old days I will go on a Saga Holiday. It is the energy and enthusiasm of the younger SNCOs who still have ambition that keeps the Sgts' Messes going.

3. Finally, now that FS's are the Deputy Flt Cdr's at IOT has there been any difference in the quality of Officers coming through the system?