PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have I Been Stupid - OFT
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2009, 19:23
Keygrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tmj - rather than turn it around - give me a levelled argument for what you believe is wrong.

I've been seeing the same thing, with the same students, at the same various schools, for many years.

Tell me where I have said something wrong.

I also completely agree with most of what you say too, especially the "Do as I say or I'll cancel your visa", "Problems of pre-payment" etc.....though WHY any student prepays for any flying is beyond me - especially in this climate.

I do, to some extent, understand the school situation - as I've witnessed many students trying to rip off the schools by not paying for something they have done.....but I see no reason why I shouldn't expect to start a flight with a zero balance and settle my account on landing.

Now how are you (as a flight school) going to handle that situation when the clients credit card is refused? You don't get your money - but the student has flown your aircraft, burnt your fuel, borrowed your instructor etc. etc.

It's a vicious circle.

When I rent aircraft for my own flying, my account starts at zero, they take my credit card number before departure, and I settle on landing - but, as I say, what do you do in the above situation?

I detest the situation of students paying into an account that the school can 'zap' at random when it feels the need or want - and pre-charges for flight tests, months worth of accommodation, mandatory headset purchase....all sorts of stuff that clears a positive balance to zero (or negative) within minutes. How does - and why *should* - the student (have to) deal with a situation like that? I dunno - as I say, vicious circle.

Anyway, my original question - tell me where I was wrong in what I said. Don't "turn it round" to view the other way. Give me reasoned argument.