PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ryr Landed In a taxyway by mistake in CAG
Old 13th Apr 2009, 13:02
quixeven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry VIII
Avman, a NOTAM was issued to inform about the change.
This is the NOTAM in question, as previously posted by 89polaris:

B1003/09 - TRIGGER NOTAM

EFFECTIVENESS OF PERM PROVISIONS PUBLISHED LAST 04 DEC 2008 WITH AIRAC AIP AMDT 13/08 AND CONCERNING FLW ITEMS POSTPONED TO 09 APR 2009:

- RE-ESTABLISHMENT OF NORMAL OPERATIONS ON RWY 14/32
- NEW AERODROME LAY-OUT
- COMPLETE REVIEW OF INSTRUMENTAL APPROACH PROCEDURES

THEREFORE AIP SUP 20/07 WILL BE IN FORCE UNTIL 08 APR 2009

AIRAC WILL BE POSTED AND AVBL ON WEB SITE WWW.ENAV.IT

12 FEB 15:55 2009 UNTIL 22 APR 23:59 2009.

CREATED: 12 FEB 15:56 2009

The AIP Supplement 20/07 is available here. In a nutshell, what it says is: starting December 20, 2007 Cagliari ops will be a big mess, split into 4 phases. For a year or so (they were estimating December 31, 2008 at the time) the inner runway, called 32R/14L, will be in use and the main runway will be undergoing maintenance works. Instrumental procedures modified accordingly with a circling or a sidestep.

In preparation for the renewed main runway coming back into service, the new Cagliari procedures were then published on December 4, 2008, in the AIP AIRAC Amendment 13/2008 (page 18 to 40 of this pdf file, again from the ENAV website). The new procedures were expected to enter into force on January 15, 2009.

What the B1003/09 NOTAM quoted above says is, plainly: forget about the January 15 date, the ETA for the new procedures is now April 9.

This is the Italian ANSP side of things.

My questions are:

- did Ryanair's chart provider (Jepps I suppose) update the charts accordingly? (Not a very easy task considering the postponements etc.)

- did the Ryanair crew have the updated charts on board?

- were the crew aware of the NOTAM quoted above?

- what does the CVR say about the approach briefing? (How long is the CVR coverage by the way? Would that be enough to record the approach briefing?)

- what were the ATC instructions?

Whatever the answers, in my view this looks like a plain pilot error, but giving the blame is not my favourite sport, since I'm not a prosecutor.

Ryanair/ATC bashing leads to nowhere: it would be much more interesting (and useful) to find out which factors brought to the confusion (to name one: visibility was around 4000 metres by that time), and what could be done to prevent this from happening again.