PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have I Been Stupid - OFT
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2009, 09:37
SweetChariotXV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If youre doing the faa ppl expect around 12000 USD. If JAA then itll be lower. Very few people finish an faa ppl in this school with just 45hours. average being aroung 60. Jaa ppl tends to be easier.
I have to say from my personal experience, I found this to be the complete opposite. The FAA PPL was the easy one - one exam which, if you studied the gleim red book i think it was called, you could easily pass this. 1 flight test which also was pretty basic. Then the JAA was 7 ground exams with far more volume than the faa one, and a flight test which again, had a lot more too it than the faa flight test.

But man c flyer, my advise would be to weigh it all up in price terms; how much in all will it cost you to do your ppl in the states at a realistic exchange for your pound. ie you will get right now about $1.38 to the pound today. Include hotel acc, airfare, taxi's / rental car, food whilst out there. Calculate it all. Then ring around a couple of schools in your local area, find out cost of ppl. balance it out.

If price is far cheaper in uk, including loss of deposit, stay here. If about the same, decide what is best for you. At ppl level, it is not of huge importance where you do it. If you do it at OFT, i'm sure you will enjoy it - even if the place is not good, I enjoyed flying florida. I would say if you want to go further though, you will get more out of your flying in the UK. It is more of a challenge than Florida, so I think it will benefit you.

Good luck.